Friday, March 2, 2007

Change

Why are people so afraid of change? Is it that they see power slipping from their control? Is it that they think the old ways were better? Is it that we haven't explained what we're doing well enough? Why am I so full of questions? I know that some grandchildren of long-term members don't want to do the Confirmation Class in its current formation, but I think this way is much better. Everyone who has listened to a detailed explanation thinks it's good. I think developing a relationship with the church is much more important than developing a relationship with the pastor - especially in a United Methodist Church. This pastor probably won't be around when they graduate from High School, much less marry them. My hope is that they will think about the church especially if they feel the need for spiritual guidance - not a pastor. Systems produce what they are designed to produce. The old way took some kids and made most of them marginal church members. The new way, at least, gives the confirmands an opportunity to fulfill some of the membership vows they will make in June. As much as I don't want to admit it, some things they did at Bob Jones were good. I want these kids to have some experience of God. To Bob Jones, thanks for everything, Dan Keller

No comments: